This home is an Indiana State Historic Site, administered by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, and managed by the Indiana State Museum. The Porters built the home in 1895 after Charles Porter, Gene’s husband, could afford to build a home that reflected his financial & business success. The white cedar logs used to construct the home came from Wisconsin. The architectural style is an unusual “Queen Anne Rustic”. The interior is more indicative of the late Victorian period. Much of the interior paneling is quarter sawn red oak. The music room’s lincrusta is beautifully restored.
The Limberlost Cabin has 14 rooms, many of them restored to their original detail by skilled artisans. Mrs. Porter worked with the architect to design the home, and there is an obvious attention to detail. The home features some original pieces including bedroom furniture by Grand Rapids Furniture Company (Michigan). Some items were still in the home when it was donated to the state in 1947 such as Mrs. Porters Moth and Butterfly collection as well as a mounted Golden Eagle. Today, the Limberlost Cabin still has the warm, embracing, charm that it had when the Porters lived in the home a century ago.
Randy Lehman is the Curator, and manages the site with the help of the Friends of the Limberlost, local volunteers, who sponsor events throughout the year and raise money for the site and for wetland restoration projects.